I’m not 100% sure what I expected to see when I got to Logan’s new school. What I saw was pretty impressive:
- Kids in an enclosed play area, lots of them, all playing together.
- Logan jumping out in the middle of no-where, wide smile on his face and a couple of “maatjies” all around him saying hello to me.
- Teachers (yes plural) knowing my kid’s name and giving me a brief and honest update on how his first day was.
- Staff saying goodbye to my child when we walked out of the school
- It is refreshing that you can speak to a staff member and read their name on a name-badge
As we walked out of the school I asked him how his day was. I received the very male-like answer fine and decided to pursue the matter. So I asked: “Do you want to go back to *name of the previous school* or do you want to stay at *name of the new school*”
His answer was simple. His excitement levels and enthusiasm was confirmation of his answer. “I want to stay here”
Naturally I needed to tell him that he cannot stay right now, that we were going home. But that he could stay at the new school!
There is no comparison. Even on day one, there is no comparison. I am so happy I have taken him out of the previous school, I am so pleased with the new school and tomorrow night we, Kobus and I, will attend our very first OOV (parent-teacher’s organisation or something like that anyway) meeting!
So very exciting :)
* Photos taken at Kobus’ place. Probably the first and last photos we will have taken there *